Translate

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Daddy

"Your talent is God's gift to you... What you do with it is your gift back to God."-Leo Buscaglia

This quote reminds me so much of my Daddy.  God gifted my Dad with talented hands which he used to build homes, signs, toys, furniture, and make beautiful sculptures.....Daddy gave God back beautiful gifts and I know when he went to heaven last year that God must have said to him, "Well done, my son"

I remember Daddy telling me that he had to wait many years before he was able to make all the things he dreamed about making because he had 5 kids to raise first.  My Dad supplemented his income when I was growing up with remodeling and odd jobs which he did after he got off work from his regular job. Often he would take me with him and later in life I even worked alongside him for a time.   
Most days you could find my Dad down in his basement working on his sculptures.....he was self taught and began casting his sculptures in bronze....later adding acrylic medium.....Below are only a few of his sculptures....he sculpted from his memories as a boy growing up in his boyhood farm.





....My Dad built his home and many others......
 
 
He made this gorgeous grandfather clock and billiard table.....

and so many more things that are too many to list or show you....





 


 
My Dad was my hero.......
 
I miss him so.....



 

8 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Very clever man. I love all things he made. I miss my mother too...she died 9 months ago. Her poetry lifted spirits like your daddy's work did. When I was a teenager, I told my mother that I was the smartest member of our family. She said, maybe yes and maybe no...but your talents are not yours, but gifts from God. I always remembered that.

Hilachas said...

Beautiful. I'm beyond words.

Needled Mom said...

He sounds like an amazingly talented and loving father, Ida. I know you all miss him terribly. His work is incredible! I am so glad that you were blessed with such great memories of him.

It's wonderful to see a post from you. I hope it continues.

Kat said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. What a talented man he was and I know you miss him so. I'm glad to see you posting again, I've missed you and I've been thinking about you. Sending you Love and Ladybug Hugs. xoxo

Helen said...

BEAUTIFUL xx

Missy Shay said...

What a blessing to have been so close to your father and have such a role model in your life. I'm sorry for your loss.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, what a talent!!!! I know a lot of that trickled down to you....so he gave you a legacy. Thanks for sharing and hope your day is filled with fond memories instead of sadness.

Anthea said...

Ida your Dad had such wonderful skills & shared them with the world around him so generously. The world is richer for him having been in it.
Big Hugs To You xx